Friday, January 13, 2012

Chapter 6


Chapter 6
        Lissa sat down tiredly at the kitchen table just as her mother put a fresh stack of pancakes on the table. “Good morning sleepy-head!” Her mom said as though she was a five year old. Lissa sighed and speared a pancake on her fork.
“Where’s the peanut butter?” Lissa asked as she realized that the key breakfast staple was missing.
“Oh, sorry honey, I forgot. It’s in the fridge.” Mrs. Ahn said while she dumped some more blueberries in the cookie batter. Lissa grudgingly put her pancake on her plate and got up and walked towards the fridge. She felt there must be something wrong with her younger brother’s brain; he was on kitchen duty and he had put her peanut butter in the fridge. Who puts peanut butter in the fridge? Lissa thought as she grabbed said object out of the fridge door shelf.
“Where’s Josh?” Lissa said, hoping he was out of the house for the day. Her mother looked at her disapprovingly.
“Yes, he went to Dael’s house.” Mrs. Ahn said knowingly disapproving voice. Lissa smiled, happy now that she knew she would have the house to herself as her dad had to go to work (sucker!) and her mom was volunteering (um why!?) at the library.
“Finish your pancake now.”
Lissa ate as fast as she could without looking like a humanized wolf that hasn’t eaten in days. After what felt like—well, five minutes, she finished her pancake and grabbed her phone off the counter. As she ran upstairs towards her room she fished thru her contacts looking for her best friend Ag.
      “Finally!” Lissa said as she jumped on her bed and clicked the “call” button next to “Imeson, Agnes”
     “Arg, I have GOT to change that to Ag.” Lissa muttered to herself. As the phone rang for Ag Lissa picked at her nails
     “Ollo Lissa” Ag said brightly
     “Hey, wanna go to the mall today?” Lissa responded
     “Sure. I’ll drive. See you in a half?”
     “Totally”
       Lissa stared at her wardrobe.
      “Arg! What am I going to wear?” Lissa looked at her many shirts “Aeropostle? Or Abercrombie? Or maybe American Eagle?!” Lissa said in despair. “And what am I supposed to wear for pants? Jeans or sweatpants?!”
     “Does it really matter?” Came her mother’s voice from the doorway.
     “Yes!” Lissa said indignantly “You can’t really expect me to go to the mall wearing a t-shirt?” Lissa added incredulously.
      “Oh, yes, because if you did that the world would come to a sudden and disastrous halt.”
      “I don’t appreciate the sarcasm, mom.”  Lissa said with a glare.
      “Just trying to help.”
      “Well, uh, no offense, but you’re not helping.”
     “Okay, okay, I’ll leave you and your wonders in peace.”  Mrs. Ahn said as she walked out the door, closing it quickly to protect herself from Lissa’s rage.
    “What do mothers think their doing anyway?” Lissa muttered rhetorically.
   “Well, I would think they are trying to help you and prepare you for the rest of your, hopefully, long life”
     “Dad! It was a rhetorical question! I know the answer I just don’t want to think about it. Plus, what are you doing here? I thought you had to go to work today!”
    “I do. I just thought I’d say goodbye first.” Lissa’s dad said sounding slightly hurt.
    “Why?”
    “I figured you’d like to say goodbye to your old man.” 
    “Well, okay, goodbye! Have a good day at work!” Lissa said sounding fake.
    “Thank you! You too, honey.” Mr. Ahn responded, apparently not noticing the sarcasm in Lissa’s voice.
     Lissa sat on her bed. Well, that’s the last of the Ahn’s in the house. Lissa thought. Now I can, finally, get ready to go to the mall with Ag.

      

4 comments:

  1. What? Does this mean you're making me a prep? >:( <-- That was my angry face. Lissa is not a preppy girl name. Oh, well. I liked the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it does. But fear not, she ends up being a... not a prep, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, when are you posting chapter 7, huh? You've left me hanging here.

    ReplyDelete